State assessment of rocks in foundation and boards of Shah-wa-Arus Dam using modern techniques
Zaryab A.*, Japarkhanov S.J.
Kazakh National Technical University after K. I. Satpaev, Almaty, Kazakhstan
Shah-wa-Arus Dam is currently being built on Shakardara river, in northwest of Kabul province, 22 km from Kabul city, Afghanistan. The dam is erected using roller compacted concrete (RCC), its height is 77.5m. The dam is multipurpose, designed for irrigation water storage, mitigation of floods and energy generation. The dam is located in active tectonic zone, and tectonic activity has a very significant effect on the state of its foundation and boards. The rocks are highly-fractured in this region. For such critical facility, detailed study of the state of rock masses is of great importance and a detailed survey was conducted for this purpose. This article presents a state assessment of dam site rocks according to DMR classification, based on the overview of complete geotechnical investigations and complementary field observations made by the authors.Download the article
For citation: Zaryab, A., & Japarkhanov, S. J. (2018). State assessment of rocks in foundation and boards of Shah-wa-Arus Dam using modern techniques. Central Asian Journal of Water Research, 4(1), 41–47. https://doi.org/10.29258/cajwr/2018-ri.v4-1/41-47.eng
- Gaziev A. G., 2005. (Skal’nye osnovaniya betonnyh plotin; monografiya), Publisher: АСВ, 90 p.
- Bieniawski, Z. T., 1989. “Engineering rock mass classifications”, New York: Wiley.
- Romana, M., 2004. “DMR (an adaptation of RMR), a new geomechanics classification for using dams foundation”, Universidad politechnica de Valencia, Spain.
- Tablieh – Parhoon Tarh J.V., 2011. Final Report on Engineering Geology, Shah-wa-Arus Multipurose Project, Afghanistan.
- Tablieh – Parhoon Tarh J.V., 2011. Rock Mechanic Investigation Report, Shah-wa-Arus Multipurpose Project, Afghanistan.
- Zaryab, A., Nahaf, M. I., Jafari, I., 2015. Rock Mass Engineering Classification of Shah-wa-Arus Dam site (Kabul, Afghanistan).
classification of rock massif, dmr, engineering geology, shah-wa-arus dam