Economic evaluation of the Sponge City program in China: Case study of Changde city
Department of International Economics and Trade, College of Economics, Shenzhen University Shenzhen, Guangdong province, China
For tackling the problems of city flood and water pollution, the Sponge City program was established in 2014.Although the Sponge City program is newly established, it exacerbates hot disputes in the Chinese academic research field.Currently, whether the constructed and in-progress projects of the Sponge City program are economically feasible is still an open question.The paper carries out an intensive economic analysis on the Chuan project, which is a demo project in the Sponge City program in China. Through examining all economic, environmental and social cost and benefits of the Chuan project, it is found that the total benefits caused by the project is much more than the total cost. It means the water projects in the Sponge City program are deserved to be promoted in China. However, no sustainable income to cover the O&M cost of the project, which can hamper the project’s sustainable operation.Download the article
For citation: Liang, X. (2018). Economic evaluation of the Sponge City program in China: Case study of Changde city. Central Asian Journal of Water Research, 4(1), 63–78. https://doi.org/10.29258/cajwr/2018-ri.v4-1/63-78.eng
1. Shi, R., Liu, N., Li, L., Ye, L., Liu, X., Guo, G., 2013, “Application of rainstorm and flood inundation model in flood disaster economic loss evaluation”, Torrential Rain and Disasters, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 379-384. (In Chinese).
2. Yu, K., Li, D., Yuan, H., Fu, W., Qiao, Q., Wang, S., 2015, “Sponge City”: Theory and Practice City Planning Review, Vol. 39, No, 6, pp. 26-36. (In Chinese).
3. Yin, J., Ye, M., Yin, Z., Xu, S., 2015, “A review of advances in urban flood risk analysis over China”, Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 1063-1070.
4. Shi, R., Xiao, Y. and Zhao, X., 2016, “Research on the strategy in macroscopic theory of sponge city to microscopic sponge community construction”, Ecological Economy, Vol. 32(6), 223-227. (In Chinese).
5. Xu, J., Ren, T., Wang, Y., 2016, “Dilemma of sponge city construction and its countermeasures: taking Henan Procivince as an example”, Resource Development and Market, Vol. 32, No. 5, pp. 550-555. (In Chinese).
6. Song, F. and Zhang, H., 2016, “Problems and stategies in the construction and management of Chinese sponge city”, Urban Development Studies, Vol. 23, No. 10, pp. 99-104. (In Chinese).
7. Wang, N. and Wu, L., 2015, “Designing and constructing Xiamen city to be a sponge city”, Water and wastewater engineering, Vol. 6, pp. 28-32.
8. Sang, Y.-F. and Yang, M., 2016, “Urban waterlogs control in China: more effective strategies and actions are needed”, Natural Hazards, pp. 1-4.
9. Zhang, Y., Li, J. and Wang, W., 2016, “Discussion of sponge city construction in China”, Water and wastewater engineering, Vol. 12, pp. 7-11. (In Chinese).
10. Recha, C.W., Mukopi, M.N., Otieno, J.O., 2015, “Socio-Economic Determinants of Adoption of Rainwater Harvesting and Conservation Techniques in Semi-Arid Tharaka Sub-County, Kenya”, Land Degradation and Development, Vol. 26, No. 7, pp. 765-773.
11. Liang, X. and van Dijk, M.P., 2011, “Economic and financial analysis on rainwater harvesting for agricultural irrigation in the rural areas of Beijing”, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, Vol. 55, No. 11, pp. 1100-1108.
12. Liang, X. and Van Dijk, M.P., 2010, “Financial and economic feasibility of decentralized wastewater reuse systems in Beijing”, Water Science and Technology, Vol. 61, pp. 1965-1973.
13. Molinos-Senante, M., Hernández-Sancho, F., Sala-Garrido, R., 2011, “Cost–benefit analysis of water-reuse projects for environmental purposes: A case study for Spanish wastewater treatment plants”, Journal of Environmental Management, Vol. 92, No. 12, pp. 3091-3097.
14. Zeng, W., Song, Q., Chen, R., 2004, “Ecological and environmental water requirements of urban river course: taking Chuanzihe river as an example”, Ecology and Environment, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 528-531.
15. Camagni, R., Gibelli, M.C., Rigamonti, P., 2002, “Urban mobility and urban form: the social and environmental costs of different patterns of urban expansion”, Ecological Economics, Vol. 40, pp. 199-216.
16. Luo, Y., 2007, The social cost of residential resettlement in China. The master thesis, Si Chuan University. (In Chinese).
17. Hattori, A. and Fujikura, R., 2009, “Estimating the Indirect Costs of Resettlement due to Dam Construction: A Japanese Case Study”, International Journal of Water Resources Development, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 441-457.
18. Bayrau, A. and Bekele, G., 2007, Households’ Willingness to Resettle and Preference to Forms of Compensation for Improving Slum Areas in Addis Ababa City, Western Michigan University, USA.
19. Zhang, H., Xu, X., Zhang, L., Wang, H., 2011, “The evaluation of flood in China during 2000-2010”, Journal of Economics of Water Resources, Vol. 29, No. 5, pp. 5-10.
20. Dai, S. and Cao, K., 2012, “Countermeasure of Urban Flood and Drainage in China”, Modern Urban Research, Vol. 1, pp. 21-28. (In Chinese).
21. Feng, P., Cui, G., Zhong, Y., 2001, On the evaluation and prediction of urban flood economic loss. Shui Li Xue Bao, Vol. 8, pp. 64-72. (In Chinese).
22. Liu, C., Liu, G., Qiu, L., 2009, “Assessment and application of urban flood disaster losses”, Journal of Economics of Water Resources, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 36-39.
23. Chen, Z., 1998, The history of flood and fire disasters in Changde city Wu Ling Xue Kan, Vol. 4, pp. 90-93. (In Chinese).
24. Li, C. and Wan, G., 2015, The study of dam in Changde city Hunan Shui Li Shui Dian, Vol, 1, pp. 44-46. (In Chinese).
25. Li, J., Liao, W., Chen, M., Wang, H., 2003, “Calculation of Economic Loss Caused by Water Pollution in China”, China Water Resources, Vol. 21, pp. 63-66.
26. Li, M., 2010, Study on Water Environmental Caoacity of the Chuanzi River in Changde Hunan Province Master Thesis Huannan University.
27. Rawski, T.G., 1979, “Economic growth and employment in China”, World Development, Vol. 7, pp. 767-782.
28. Li, H., 2003, “A study on the relation between economic growth and employment elasticity”, Journal of Finance and Economics, Vol. 29, No. 4. (In Chinese).
29. Costanza, R., D’Arge, R., De Groot, R., Farber, S., Grasso, M., Hannon, B., Limburg, K., Naeem, S., O’Neill, R.V., Paruelo, J., Raskin, R.G., Sutton, P., Van Den Belt, M., 1997, “The value of the world’s ecosystem services and natural capital”, Nature 387, Vol. 6630, pp. 253-260.