Natural hydrological risks and their prevention in Kazakhstan
Expert on natural emergency situations and disaster risk reduction, LLP Institute of Geography, Kazakhstan
Insufficient real data on extreme hydrological events, lack of their classification and of official damage assessment methods are the reasons for no conduction of a full-scale research on hydrological risks in Kazakhstan. The paper aims to define possible qualitative characteristics and common patterns of hydrological risks in Kazakhstan based on a synthesis of published research studies and materials on extreme hydrological events available from the Committee for Emergency Situations of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the National Hydrometeorological Service of the Republic of Kazakhstan. The obtained results are to be used during the development of long-term strategies and development programs.Download the article
For Citation: Plekhanov, P.A. (2017). Natural hydrological risks and their prevention in Kazakhstan. Central Asian Journal of Water Research, 3(1), 17–23.
- National Atlas of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Volume 1: “Natural conditions and resources”. Almaty, 2010. – 150 pp. (in Russian).
- Information on economic loss from floods in the regions of Kazakhstan (as of 01.07.93). Committee on Statistics of the Ministry of National Economy of the Republic of Kazakhstan (brief as of 19.06.93, implementation of the decision of the Emergency Situation State Committee No. 38-10/71 as of 29.04.93 paragraph 2.2) (in Russian).
- Decree No. 756 of the Government of Kazakhstan as of July 22, 2014 “On setting of classification of natural and human induced emergency situations”. (in Russian).
- Atlas of natural and human-induced dangers and risks of emergency situations of the Republic of Kazakhstan. – Almaty, 2010. – 264 pp. (in Russian).
- Plan to prepare the Republic of Kazakhstan to natural emergency situations. – Committee for Emergency Situations of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan – UNDP Kazakhstan, Astana, 2015. – 304 pp. (in Russian).
- Annual digest of monitoring change and climate in Kazakhstan: 2015. – Ministry of the National Economy of the Republic of Kazakhstan (Kazhydromet). Astana, 2016. – 55 pp. (in Russian).
- Nasanbaev E.N., Medey A.R., Tursunova A.A. water resources of Central Asia: challenges, threats, problems of use. – Water resources of Central Asia and their use. Almaty, 2016. – pp. 4-8. (in Russian).
- Assessment report on climate change on the territory of Kazakhstan. Kazhydromet. Astana, 2014. – 55 pp. (in Russian).
- National situation analysis of security from natural and human induced disasters on the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan (methodological basis). – Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan – UNDP Kazakhstan, Astana, 2015 – 92 pp. (in Russian).